Sunday, July 5, 2009

DTH Summer 2K9!

It's a big weekend for the Drop Trowel Hour. Not only did Nitro...err, Devin and I both likely exercise our Obama-given right to gorge ourselves on family-provided barbecue delights, we've also lately been exposed to a lot of R&B. That's right, rhythm and blues, sultry soul, glorious gospel?. Though my version of R&B experience was perceived more like lead exposure while Nitro is practically considering this her own personal Black Renaissance, I feel like this unlikely experience has nonetheless bonded us over hundreds of miles. I can't even tell from my Portland perch just what Nitro's up to down in Santa Cruz until I remember to visit her personal blog, Come On, Get on the Train, which, I must add, is scrupulously maintained, incessantly updated, and explosion-inducing due to its keen observational humour. At the same time, it's incredibly introspective and insightful, but then the deadpan humour hits and you laugh. So I have to recommend it to everyone, even though I would engage anyone in a fierce debate consisting of grunts and arms swings defending my position as the most entertained Nitro/Devin fan in the world.

So I was inspired to cease this DTH blog-posting hiatus by reasons three: seeing the Dirty Projectors play last night at the Holocene, reading Nitro's blog, and this mix I made last night.
The Dirty Projectors - sounded for the most part like birds chirping in rhythmic patterns that are probably a lot more commonly found in West African drumming than a bird nest. They were hot, hot, sweaty hot, in a totally "I went to Yale and studied under David Byrne and some other Afr0-Cuban musicians" way. I'd have to say that seeing Rise Above filled some part of my soul that had been split open the first time I heard the song itself. In case you were there, I was the kid standing on the left of the stage staring at Dave Longstreth with a huge grin on my face the whole time.
Nitro-like I said, a total bro who will kick back to share a brewsky with you but will also leap at the chance to serve by hand-delivering you a mix at any point in time because she's unemployed but is Saving Our Shores and likes Star Trek. A lot.
This mix i made - is for a girl, of course, whom I really like and wish I lived closer to. (Yes, this is also a mode of self expression to not only distinguish but oppose my identity to Nitro's...our mix styles are vastly different and even though I'm not sure what they are, I LOVE elationships). I can make you a copy, because you will want one once you realize how masterfully-compiled it is, but just know it's intended especially for some one. A mix is a feeble attempt to fit her radness.

1. Storm - High Places +o
2. Knotty Pine - Dirty Projectors o
3. Sweet Spots (I typed "sports" at first) - Fiery Furnaces o
4. Dinner with the President - The Evens +o
5. Love to See You - Paul Baribeau *o
6. All for None - Spoonboy +o
7. Small Words, Bigger Lessons - Polka Dot Dot +o
8. Dog Like This - Drakkar Sauna +o
9. The Real Wild World - Adrian Orange +o
10. You Looked Good to Me - No Kids*o
11. Intentions - Whitest Boy Alive* +o
12. Eye of the Volcano - Stereolab +o
13. Bike Freaks - Digital Knife +o
14. Firefighter - Ghost Mice +o
15. Makeout Revolution - Bla Bla Blacksheep o
16. A Minha Menina - Os Mutantes o

* songs whose lyrics are directed personally toward her
+ songs whose lyrics I hope she comments on because they're meaningful to me
o songs I want to make out with her to


do you think it will impress her? circle one y/n.

-Katia/Laoura

1 comment: